•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 

Cheltenham v Posh
(23-04-2024, 12:20 PM)Nelson PK Wrote: Is there? Don’t we have a few players now carrying knocks? It seems to me, on balance, you protect the players for what is likely to be a play-off competition.
So to be clear I’m not suggesting we play those with a knock but posh have shown time and time again that when they have a break from playing games (international break) we don’t re-start well. We can’t afford that to happen in the play offs so need to ensure we don’t totally lose momentum.

(23-04-2024, 12:20 PM)Nelson PK Wrote: Is there? Don’t we have a few players now carrying knocks? It seems to me, on balance, you protect the players for what is likely to be a play-off competition.
So to be clear I’m not suggesting we play those with a knock but posh have shown time and time again that when they have a break from playing games (international break) we don’t re-start well. We can’t afford that to happen in the play offs so need to ensure we don’t totally lose momentum.
(23-04-2024, 10:12 AM)rutland posh Wrote: Remote at best. Derby are not losing on saturday and we ain't winning this one 6-0
Derby shit the bed last year on the final day when the pressure was on.

We need to try and bang some goals in today to put that pressure on them Saturday.

If we fail, we lose nothing. But we absolutely should try.
If we fail, we may well lose nothing. But we may pick up an injury or two to a key player(s) And going balls out, it only takes one desperate mistimed tackle and there's a red card.
The split of opinion on here shows what a tricky decision this could be for Fergie.

I agree we should try and boost the goal difference tonight. If it doesn’t work, play the kids against Bolton on Saturday so that Bolton don’t get too much practice playing against us ahead of a play off final.
What if one of our players stubs their toe on a chair, or falls down a step? Or even gets a crick neck from sleeping?

Best put them all in a cryo chamber until the play offs.
We have to go for it.

A win by 4, 5 or 6 would mean a truly mad game on the last day - with Posh and Bolton needing to win by 3 or 4 to dislodge Derby if they lose (which I accept they probably won't).
Of course we have to go for it. Look at Bristol rovers a couple of seasons ago needing to win by 7 and managing it. It's unlikely derby will stumble of Saturday but if they do and we don't take advantage of it because of tonight we will be kicking ourselves.
A Cheltenham win guarantees them League 1 next season and a loss guarantees them League 2. A draw's not a lot of use to them as 2 teams could overtake them, so they won't park the bus - especially final home match of their season.

Just fucking go for it Posh - please.
Well looking at u21s team today I think alot of you are going to be disappointed.

We have to trust Fergie's judgement.
(23-04-2024, 03:02 PM)Zola Wrote: Well looking at u21s team today I think alot of you are going to be disappointed.

Indeed. That's why he's paid the big bucks.
Well, fairly big, I'd imagine.
(23-04-2024, 03:02 PM)Zola Wrote: Well looking at u21s team today I think alot of you are going to be disappointed.

Elaborate?
(23-04-2024, 02:54 PM)Hugh Fat B'Stard Wrote: A Cheltenham win guarantees them League 1 next season and a loss guarantees them League 2. A draw's not a lot of use to them as 2 teams could overtake them, so they won't park the bus - especially final home match of their season.

Just fucking go for it Posh - please.

Four teams get relegated so Cheltenham have to win their last 2 games to avoid the drop and even that may not be enough depending on other results on the final day. So yes they sure do have to win tonight just to keep their chances of staying up alive, but a win will not guarantee them anything. Hopefully them having to go for it tonight though will help Posh regardless of what team Fergie puts out. Could make for interesting viewing anyway.
(23-04-2024, 11:21 AM)Nick Wrote: What were the odds a couple of years ago on Bristol Rovers beating Scunthorpe 7-0 to pip Cobblers to the promotion on the final day?

The shrewdies were on! Very shady day that, Scunny were more than happy to help out due to a loan deal.

Gas to score 6+ was only around 20-1 from memory. Bookmakers don't price 7+

(23-04-2024, 11:38 AM)KenGandhi Wrote: Indeed.  What were the odds on Sheffield Wednesday going up after the first leg last season.  Unlikely things happen in football, but you have to have a go.   If it's like 0-0 or worse at half time, then bring on reserve subs or whatever ... but have a go first.

14-1

So that's 20-1 and 14-1 compared to 1000-1+. Fergie has got this one right.

Fwiw bookmakers have over 2.5 goals in a Cheltenham home game at odds-on for the first time all season tonight. Everyone knows what to expect here. It should be open from the outset, as they need to win and we need to improve GD, hence over 4.5 total goals only being a 7-2 shot.
0-0
(23-04-2024, 05:07 PM)Chompy1 Wrote: The shrewdies were on! Very shady day that, Scunny were more than happy to help out due to a loan deal.

Gas to score 6+ was only around 20-1 from memory. Bookmakers don't price 7+

14-1

So that's 20-1 and 14-1 compared to 1000-1+. Fergie has got this one right.

Fwiw bookmakers have over 2.5 goals in a Cheltenham home game at odds-on for the first time all season tonight. Everyone knows what to expect here. It should be open from the outset, as they need to win and we need to improve GD, hence over 4.5 total goals only being a 7-2 shot.

You are still missing the point. The odds on us scoring five or six goals tonight are, or course, long. But if we did win by a hatful, those 1000-1 odds tumble massively. You would probably be looking at Derby being 7-1 on or similar, maybe even longer, if us and Bolton could overtake them with a win and a Derby defeat on the final day.

Odds are driven by bets, and if we won handsomely tonight, suddenly the situation looks very different.
We'll agree to disagree. As of now it's a 1000-1 shot and I'd happily lay that price.
Derby are not losing to a relegated Carlisle side. Simple as that which makes everything academic.
I'm so glad I don't really understand, or care for any of this tedious bookies odds bollocks.

From a selfish point of view, I wouldn't be too upset if we lost tonight to (pretty much) confirm 4th place.

A) Ideally I need to be in London on Saturday, and having to attend our game would add severe inconvenience.

B) A Saturday away 1st leg is preferable to a Friday night away first leg.

C) It could leave Cambridge sweating.

Given that even with a win tonight, it's still a miniscule chance at best of 2nd.... I hope we make wholesale changes and rest up for the playoffs.
(23-04-2024, 04:49 PM)Whatnowthen Wrote: Four teams get relegated so Cheltenham have to win their last 2 games to avoid the drop and even that may not be enough depending on other results on the final day. So yes they sure do have to win tonight just to keep their chances of staying up alive, but a win will not guarantee them anything. Hopefully them having to go for it tonight though will help Posh regardless of what team Fergie puts out. Could make for interesting viewing anyway.

Sorry yes you're right Thumbup 

I meant that the win would give them their only chance of survival and if they lose or draw they're down anyway, so I expect an all-out assault from both teams.

I agree it will be interesting . . .
(23-04-2024, 06:50 PM)belfastposh Wrote: Derby are not losing to a relegated Carlisle side. 

And/or we are not going to overturn a 9 goal difference deficit.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next