World Cup 2026 and beyond
USA gets it.  Not much of a surprise.

On a similar note there was a guy on Talksport the other day, missed who he was, but was talking about the politics in FIFA about future tournaments.

The members are still very keen on making sure each confederation gets a world cup and on that alone it was always likely that North America would beat Africa as they've waited longer.

He was also saying that it should be Europe in 2030 and Africa 2034. The Africa 2034 is all but guaranteed, as FIFA want to make sure Africa get another World Cup soon but Europe 2030 might lose out as there's a growing group of people who want Uruguay to get the centenary..... meaning Europe get 2038. 

That all sounds like nonsense, but one thing he said of interest is that there is an understanding within UEFA that England are best placed to handle a 48 game competition and that it is likely that if England declare an interest we'll get continental support for it.
Surely Asia are due 2030?

Edit: Oh yeah, Qatar
Disappointing - a World Cup in Morocco would be absolutely ace.
(13-06-2018, 12:28 PM)Panda Wrote: Disappointing - a World Cup in Morocco would be absolutely ace.

This. 

I don't get why the new obsession is to have it in a massive country spread over hundreds or thousands of miles. Makes it hard for fans

Similar (same?) time zone as here too
(13-06-2018, 12:20 PM)KenGandhi Wrote: USA gets it.  Not much of a surprise.

On a similar note there was a guy on Talksport the other day, missed who he was, but was talking about the politics in FIFA about future tournaments.

The members are still very keen on making sure each confederation gets a world cup and on that alone it was always likely that North America would beat Africa as they've waited longer.

He was also saying that it should be Europe in 2030 and Africa 2034. The Africa 2034 is all but guaranteed, as FIFA want to make sure Africa get another World Cup soon but Europe 2030 might lose out as there's a growing group of people who want Uruguay to get the centenary..... meaning Europe get 2038. 

That all sounds like nonsense, but one thing he said of interest is that there is an understanding within UEFA that England are best placed to handle a 48 game competition and that it is likely that if England declare an interest we'll get continental support for it.
I thought the advent of 48 team tournaments would mean it's unlikely any single country would get the whole thing from now on?

Not that it's a problem, we could share it with the other 'countries' that make up our actual country. I'm sure the millennium stadium, Ibrox, Celtic Park and Hamden could host some games.
(13-06-2018, 12:28 PM)Panda Wrote: Disappointing - a World Cup in Morocco would be absolutely ace.

I've been to Morocco, it's bloody hot.  Not sure how it fares with Qatar temperature wise.

I'm not sure you could ever have the proper security arrangements in North Africa either.
(13-06-2018, 12:41 PM)Meat\nTwoVeg Wrote: I thought the advent of 48 team tournaments would mean it's unlikely any single country would get the whole thing from now on?

Not that it's a problem, we could share it with the other 'countries' that make up our actual country. I'm sure the millennium stadium, Ibrox, Celtic Park and Hamden could host some games.

England could do it on their own, but it might sit better with FIFA as a UK collaboration

48 teams = 80 matches.  So 20 Stadiums across 16 cities would do it I reckon  (The US/CAN/MEX uses 23 stadiums)

In Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hull, Leeds, Huddersfield, Manchester (x2), Bolton, Liverpool (x2), Birmingham (Aston), Norwich, Nottingham, Leicester, Derby, Milton Keynes, Reading, London (x5) & Southampton  you have 24 across 18 cities all currently of a standard to host a World Cup game.  You'd then you'd have plenty of clubs willing to get their grounds upto standard.... Hillsborough just needs tarting up and Bristol City are often talking about building a new stadium.  I'm almost certainly missing some.

You add in Wales & Scotland and you're only gaining Cardiff, Swansea, Edinburgh & Glasgow - which would take about 20% of the matches combined.
(13-06-2018, 01:19 PM)KenGandhi Wrote: England could do it on their own, but it might sit better with FIFA as a UK collaboration

48 teams = 80 matches.  So 20 Stadiums across 16 cities would do it I reckon  (The US/CAN/MEX uses 23 stadiums)

In Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hull, Leeds, Huddersfield, Manchester (x2), Bolton, Liverpool (x2), Birmingham (Aston), Norwich, Nottingham, Leicester, Derby, Milton Keynes, Reading, London (x5) & Southampton  you have 24 across 18 cities all currently of a standard to host a World Cup game.  You'd then you'd have plenty of clubs willing to get their grounds upto standard.... Hillsborough just needs tarting up and Bristol City are often talking about building a new stadium.  I'm almost certainly missing some.

You add in Wales & Scotland and you're only gaining Cardiff, Swansea, Edinburgh & Glasgow - which would take about 20% of the matches combined.

It's a no brainer, but FIFA will always have it in for the Brits.
(13-06-2018, 01:19 PM)KenGandhi Wrote: England could do it on their own, but it might sit better with FIFA as a UK collaboration

Pedant hat on, but FIFA require a 40,000 capacity for all stadia.

That would leave

Wembley
Emirates
London Stadium
Old Trafford
Etihad
Anfield
St James' Park
Stadium of Light
Villa Park
Goodison Park

MK has providion to expand, Bristol City and Forest can easily have the world cup in mind when expanding and Hillsborough falls just short.

Not sure if the others can be expanded, so I suppose borrowing The Millenium, Celtic Park and Hampden would be the easiest solution
(13-06-2018, 01:33 PM)jwb1997 Wrote: Pedant hat on, but FIFA require a 40,000 capacity for all stadia.

Someone should tell that to the Russian FA as 2 of their stadiums in this world cup are below that.

Either way it wouldn't be difficult to expand half a dozen stadiums over the next 12 years.
(13-06-2018, 01:33 PM)jwb1997 Wrote: Pedant hat on, but FIFA require a 40,000 capacity for all stadia.

That would leave

Wembley
Emirates
London Stadium
Old Trafford
Etihad
Anfield
St James' Park
Stadium of Light
Villa Park
Goodison Park

MK has providion to expand, Bristol City and Forest can easily have the world cup in mind when expanding and Hillsborough falls just short.

Not sure if the others can be expanded, so I suppose borrowing The Millenium, Celtic Park and Hampden would be the easiest solution
Ibrox is 50,000, and Murrayfield has always formed part of Scotland’s previous bids (70k).
So 10 games in Canada & Mexico

60 in America.

Do all 3 countries get automatic place at the finals?

Not sure if I'm all for change or a traditionalist when it comes to the major competitions, they'll be loads of shit teams with 11 behind the ball making bore football we could even see the might of Luxemburg or Lichenstein at either Euro's or World Cup in a few decades time if we continue quantity over quality process !!!
Alex Morgan tweets

“So happy waking up to this news! The World Cup is coming home”

I think she’s confused - since when was the US the home of football (or as they like to call it soccer)

That would leave

Wembley
Emirates
London Stadium
Old Trafford
Etihad
Anfield
St James' Park
Stadium of Light
Villa Park
Goodison Park

They don't like multiple stadia in the same city if it can be avoided either, so further grounds for including the jocks and Welsh.
(13-06-2018, 02:36 PM)DeanHobbs Wrote: Alex Morgan tweets

“So happy waking up to this news! The World Cup is coming home”

I think she’s confused - since when was the US the home of football (or as they like to call it soccer)
I suspect she means her home.
(13-06-2018, 01:24 PM)norwichposh Wrote: It's a no brainer, but FIFA will always have it in for the Brits.

Myth.
I’d love to see a UK bid for 2030 or 2038, whenever it is that it’s coming back to Europe.

Not sure where that would leave Northern Ireland though. No stadia capable of hosting a game, so probably wouldn’t get automatic qualification?
(13-06-2018, 06:20 PM)ryanclark82 Wrote: I’d love to see a UK bid for 2030 or 2038, whenever it is that it’s coming back to Europe.

Not sure where that would leave Northern Ireland though. No stadia capable of hosting a game, so probably wouldn’t get automatic qualification?
We could always invite the proper Irish as well and use the Aviva
(13-06-2018, 06:20 PM)ryanclark82 Wrote: I’d love to see a UK bid for 2030 or 2038, whenever it is that it’s coming back to Europe.

The way things are going, there won’t be a Northern Ireland by then, so Croke Park and Aviva could be used.
The next WC will be played to the backdrop of Xmas shopping and opening your advent calendars. The next one will have shit kick off times. Great.

That would leave

Wembley
Emirates
London Stadium
Old Trafford
Etihad
Anfield
St James' Park
Stadium of Light
Villa Park
Goodison Park

Tottenham? 

Chelsea may finally have a new ground by then too.