Squad/Team of the Tournament and Golden Ball/Gloves/Boot
I know FIFA usually do something along these lines but can’t remember what - do any England players have a chance of getting in the squad/team?

For me:

Pickford in with a shout, but Courtois/Lloris also.
Maguire - very good chance
Stones - good chance
Trippier - should be a shoo-in.
Kane - will probably get Golden Boot and by virtue of that end up in the team/squad, though arguably doesn’t *really* deserve it.

I don’t think any other players from England should be anywhere near.

Golden Ball favourites at the moment (I haven’t looked at the betting) I would think - Modric, Hazard, Mbappé?

Other thoughts?
Kante for France, he's been magnificent.
(12-07-2018, 09:44 AM)ryanclark82 Wrote: I know FIFA usually do something along these lines but can’t remember what - do any England players have a chance of getting in the squad/team?

For me:

Stones - good chance
Kane - will probably get Golden Boot and by virtue of that end up in the team/squad, though arguably doesn’t *really* deserve it.

Golden Ball favourites at the moment (I haven’t looked at the betting) I would think - Modric, Hazard, Mbappé?

Other thoughts?
Mbappe will win golden ball.
(12-07-2018, 09:50 AM)Meat\nTwoVeg Wrote: Mbappe will win golden ball.

Even if Croatia win the WC?
(12-07-2018, 09:49 AM)poshtrev Wrote: Kante for France, he's been magnificent.

True, and that fact probably represents how they’ve played. They’ve been hugely functional and not particularly inspiring (Argentina game aside).

France 2-1 Aus (VAR penalty and deflection).
France 1-0 Peru
France 0-0 Denmark
France 4-3 Argentina
France 2-0 Uruguay
France 1-0 Belgium
(12-07-2018, 09:44 AM)ryanclark82 Wrote: I know FIFA usually do something along these lines but can’t remember what - do any England players have a chance of getting in the squad/team?

For me:

Stones - good chance

Other thoughts?

Trippier has been our best player - but I can't think how other RB/RWB have performed.  The rest I agree with, although I actually think Stones has more chance than Maguire, purely down to unimaginative selections.  Henderson has been one of our better players - but there's no way he's one of the tournaments top midfielders.

Save a Lukaku hat-trick Kane will tie up the Golden Boot.  (even if Lukaku scores 2 I think Kane wins on the tiebreaker rules)

Young Ball (or whaterver this one is called) - Definitely MBappe.  Which might sway the panels minds to give someone else the Golden Ball.

The Golden Ball.... I think you've named the 3.... perhaps De Bruyne as well?

Golden Gloves - Pickford or Lloris..... probably Lloris. Almost certainly Lloris
Modric for player of the tournament in my view - classiest player by far. If he was English we would have won this World Cup.

Trippier and Stones for Team of the Tournament. That's it for England.
Having looked at the odds now, seems to between Mbappe and Modric, with Griezmann in 3rd.
Mbappé has had one outstanding game, and done not much else IMO.
(12-07-2018, 10:38 AM)ryanclark82 Wrote: Mbappé has had one outstanding game, and done not much else IMO.

He's a bit of a play-actor as well.  Modric should get the award (although he has missed a penalty along the way).
(12-07-2018, 10:38 AM)ryanclark82 Wrote: Mbappé has had one outstanding game, and done not much else IMO.

Apart from set the whole world admiring Laughing
(12-07-2018, 11:02 AM)Nelson PK Wrote: Apart from set the whole world admiring Laughing

Yeah, cos hyperbole is rare in a World Cup with modern media prattling on and looking to build a buzz about anything and everything...

I'm with Ryan on this. 

Any scope in that Russian fella on the left wing - Cheryishev - being in squad of the tournament?
(12-07-2018, 11:21 AM)poshtrev Wrote: Yeah, cos hyperbole is rare in a World Cup with modern media prattling on and looking to build a buzz about anything and everything...

I'm with Ryan on this. 

Any scope in that Russian fella on the left wing - Cheryishev - being in squad of the tournament?

Since they cut it down to 11 players (they used to name loads) only semi-finalists have made it in.  They may make an exception this year.
Following today’s game:

I think Trippier deserves to be in the team, and will get in.

I think Pickford and Stones deserve to be in the team, but I don’t think either will get in.

I don’t think Kane deserves to be in the team. But by virtue of winning the golden boot, I think he will.
(14-07-2018, 05:00 PM)ryanclark82 Wrote: Following today’s game:

I think Trippier deserves to be in the team, and will get in.

I think Pickford and Stones deserve to be in the team, but I don’t think either will get in.

I don’t think Kane deserves to be in the team. But by virtue of winning the golden boot, I think he will.

This. Arguably have Harry Maguire in your second group too. 

If I had to guess I think it'll be

Lloris

Trippier
Umtiti
Gimenez OR Godin
Mario Fernandes

Pogba
Modric
De Bruyne

Ronaldo
Kane
Mbappe

Struggled with the left back, so I can see the Russian bloke in there out of position.

Notable mentions for Lozano and Cheryshev and some others I've forgotten.
Pickford might be the third best keeper at the WC behind Courtois & Lloris
(14-07-2018, 05:16 PM)jwb1997 Wrote: This. Arguably have Harry Maguire in your second group too. 

If I had to guess I think it'll be

Lloris

Trippier
Umtiti
Gimenez OR Godin
Mario Fernandes

Pogba
Modric
De Bruyne

Ronaldo
Kane
Mbappe

Struggled with the left back, so I can see the Russian bloke in there out of position.

Notable mentions for Lozano and Cheryshev and some others I've forgotten.

Surely Varanne has to be in there? Defender of the tournament for me.

And Ronaldo?
(14-07-2018, 06:16 PM)Pat Wrote: Surely Varanne has to be in there? Defender of the tournament for me.

And Ronaldo?

Ah balls, I got him and Umtiti mixed up in my head.

And yeah. I think it's what fifa will do.
It's unusual for FIFA to look past the Semi Finals when making the XI. They have, in the past, chucked a few reserves in though.
(14-07-2018, 05:21 PM)Nelson PK Wrote: Pickford might be the third best keeper at the WC behind Courtois & Lloris

I agree. They are both better than Pickford at the moment. Clap