Assistant Referee Flag Signals
(12-07-2018, 08:28 AM)Mick Bratley Wrote: When Kane missed that one on one, I said to the wife that we will lose this. If it was a PL game he would have scored. It was a pretty hopeless attempt to be honest.

Not that it matters now but he was flagged for offside, though I reckon it would've gone to VAR.
(12-07-2018, 08:29 AM)Nelson PK Wrote: Not that it matters now but he was flagged for offside, though I reckon it would've gone to VAR.

Was he?  It looked like the linesman was flagging to indicate a goal kick to me.  Clive & Glenn said it was flagged for offside but the replay showed differently.
(12-07-2018, 08:53 AM)KenGandhi Wrote: Was he?  It looked like the linesman was flagging to indicate a goal kick to me.  Clive & Glenn said it was flagged for offside but the replay showed differently.

Kane wasn't offside.  He was off-key.
(12-07-2018, 08:53 AM)KenGandhi Wrote: Was he?  It looked like the linesman was flagging to indicate a goal kick to me.  Clive & Glenn said it was flagged for offside but the replay showed differently.

C&G don't know their arses from their elbows when it comes to decisions made by officials.  The lino put his flag at 12 o'clock and then pointed out in front = offside.  And the restart kick was taken outside the six-yard box.
(12-07-2018, 09:25 AM)Nelson PK Wrote: C&G don't know their arses from their elbows when it comes to decisions made by officials.  The lino put his flag at 12 o'clock and then pointed out in front = offside.  And the restart kick was taken outside the six-yard box.

Exactly my point, C&G said it was offside and they don't know their arses from their elbows.
(12-07-2018, 09:25 AM)Nelson PK Wrote: C&G don't know their arses from their elbows when it comes to decisions made by officials.  The lino put his flag at 12 o'clock and then pointed out in front = offside.  And the restart kick was taken outside the six-yard box.

The signal is the same for a goal kick, FWIW. Location of restart would suggest the GK at least thought it was given for offside though, as you say.
(12-07-2018, 10:07 AM)kaasprodukte Wrote: Then he used the wrong signal for a goal kick...he flagged for offside. It was just very very late.

When someone is offside almost level with the goal line what's the difference between the signals?  There isn't one.

Goal kick, lino points flag to goal.  Offside he puts flag in front of him....  it looks the same in that instance.

The ref pointed to the corner of the goal area to indivate a goal kick.  The Croats took it as a free kick and either the ref didn't notice or care.

It doesn't matter though.
(12-07-2018, 10:07 AM)kaasprodukte Wrote: No its not.

Yes, it is. Flag up to indicate ball out of play. Flag out in front to indicate goal kick.

Flag up to indicate offside. Flag out in front to indicate offside location (high, mid or low = far, middle or near side).
(12-07-2018, 10:35 AM)ryanclark82 Wrote: Yes, it is. Flag up to indicate ball out of play. Flag out in front to indicate goal kick.

Flag up to indicate offside. Flag out in front to indicate offside location (high, mid or low = far, middle or near side).

Doc, seriously, you're wrong.  The flag is only ever raised to 12 o'clock for offside

See here
It's raised to 12 o'clock to signal the offense, and at an angle (once the offense has been awarded) to signal the location.

Yesterday, the linesman signaled at 12 o'clock, then at 9 o'clock. This would be the same for a goal kick, or an offside in the middle of the pitch. The fact that the kick was taken outside of the six yard box is what proves that it was an offside decision. Which was obviously an incorrect one.
(12-07-2018, 10:56 AM)Nelson PK Wrote: Doc, seriously, you're wrong.  The flag is only ever raised to 12 o'clock for offside

See here

Thanks for the link.  Page 198 of the rules (the full rules, not your summary), downloaded from the link you provided;

Quote:Corner kick/goal kick When the ball wholly passes over the goal line the AR raises the flag with the right hand (better line of vision) to inform the referee that the ball is out of play and then if it is: 
near to the AR – indicate whether it is a goal kick or a corner kick 
far from the AR – make eye contact and follow the referee’s decision

The reason your summary shows the 2 steps is because, for an offside you raise the flag at 12 o'clock and keep it there until the ref blows the whistle. For a Goal Kick/Corner Kick, because the ball is out of play you can move directly from the raised flag to the indication.
(12-07-2018, 11:12 AM)KenGandhi Wrote: Thanks for the link.  Page 198 of the rules (the full rules, not your summary), downloaded from the link you provided;

The reason your summary shows the 2 steps is because, for an offside you raise the flag at 12 o'clock and keep it there until the ref blows the whistle.  For a Goal Kick/Corner Kick, because the ball is out of play you can move directly from the raised flag to the indication.

Okay, I can't convince you, even though I've passed the FA refereeing course.
(12-07-2018, 11:19 AM)Nelson PK Wrote: Okay, I can't convince you, even though I've passed the FA refereeing course.

I'm quoting verbatim from the IFAB 2018-2019 laws of the game. A link to which you provided.

And I also passed the FA refereeing course.... although I wouldn't brag about it.... it was a piece of piss and with a low pass threshold.
(12-07-2018, 11:21 AM)KenGandhi Wrote: I'm quoting verbatim from the IFAB 2018-2019 laws of the game.  A link to which you provided.

And I also passed the FA refereeing course.... although I wouldn't brag about it.... it was a piece of piss and with a low pass threshold.

It was definitely a piss of piece.  Try the video below, the useful bit is just after 2:40, and I'm definitely bored with this now Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf8pRbPkOPs
(12-07-2018, 11:34 AM)Nelson PK Wrote: It was definitely a piss of piece.  Try the video below, the useful bit is just after 2:40, and I'm definitely bored with this now Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf8pRbPkOPs

Try 4:18 - same video. Although I'd take the current IFAB rules ahead of an american you tube video from 2012 anyway

And yes, I'm bored too.
(12-07-2018, 11:19 AM)Nelson PK Wrote: Okay, I can't convince you, even though I've passed the FA refereeing course.

Same here. Who hasn’t?

FWIW - I don’t think ARs will necessarily always raise the flag to 12 o’clock first. For example, if the ball’s slowly rolling out with no player near it, I think they’ll just indicate goal kick or corner. It’s when it’s just gone out (say, a player has chased a ball down to tie and cross it before it rolls out, or a defender trying to prevent a corner) that the ARs will, inevitably, raise the flag high first to say, “ref, that’s gone out” before indicating whether it’s a goal kick or corner. The same also applies with throw-ins.
(12-07-2018, 11:48 AM)ryanclark82 Wrote: Same here. Who hasn’t?

Well Clive & Glenn for starters, obviously.
(12-07-2018, 11:48 AM)ryanclark82 Wrote: Same here. Who hasn’t?

FWIW - I don’t think ARs will necessarily always raise the flag to 12 o’clock first. For example, if the ball’s slowly rolling out with no player near it, I think they’ll just indicate goal kick or corner. It’s when it’s just gone out (say, a player has chased a ball down to tie and cross it before it rolls out, or a defender trying to prevent a corner) that the ARs will, inevitably, raise the flag high first to say, “ref, that’s gone out” before indicating whether it’s a goal kick or corner. The same also applies with throw-ins.

The only reason there's the slightest bit of confusion here is the new ruling on holding back the offside signal until the ball is out of play.   Normally the ball is in play when an offside flag goes up, and the linesman is not usually in line with the goal area

In any case the ref makes the final call and I'm fairly certain he pointed to the goal area rather than indicate a free kick.  That Croatia took it as a free kick and were not pulled back further confuses things.

In summary.  It's just a bunch of stuff that happened that really didn't make any difference to anything.
Ryan's right.
The lino couldn't recognise when the ball was out of play a few times last night so I would not be surprised to find he didn't know the signal for a goal kick or offside.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk