Poll: Favourite World Cup - Part 1
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Spain '82
2.70%
1 2.70%
Mexico '86
5.41%
2 5.41%
Italia '90
40.54%
15 40.54%
USA '94
0%
0 0%
France '98
10.81%
4 10.81%
Japan/S Korea '02
10.81%
4 10.81%
Germany '06
5.41%
2 5.41%
South Africa '10
0%
0 0%
Brazil '14
0%
0 0%
Russia '18
24.32%
9 24.32%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Your Favourite World Cup - Part 1
There's a strong argument to be made for this being the best ever World Cup. But what was your favourite? This will be done in two parts. Top 10 across the two polls to go through. Part 2 here: https://londonroad.net/Forum/showthread.php?tid=15236

Poll to follow.

One rule: You actually had to be alive at the time and remember it.
And judging by accounts from pretty much everyone I know who lived through it, North Korea and the final aside, '66 was shit.
My pool is limited to 4, but this by all accounts ought to walk it
This time round'll get loads of votes, and rightfully so. I bloody loved Japan/Korea 02 and France 98 as well.
France 98. The summer of 98 was awesome for so many reasons.
90, even though England we crap through most of it.

Roger Miller , Gazza , Schillaci , Pavarotti, Costa Rica etc etc
World cup 90. Never to be beaten. I've so many fond memories of that world cup and bring eight years old n living and breathing every minute of it.
(13-07-2018, 06:53 PM)KenGandhi Wrote: France 98.  The summer of 98 was awesome for so many reasons.

Best of this bunch by far.
France 98 - I was there with a mate, watched 8 games all over the South and spent the rest of the time drinking great wine. Met my missus a few weeks after I got back so now realize it was the last time I will do something like that.
Close call between Italia 90 and Russia 2018, but Italia 90 just pips it for me.  As a schoolboy there was something just a bit magical about watching players like Gazza and Lineker doing the business for England.

If we're doing a vote for the worst World Cup, USA '94.  What a pile of pants. 

I can't see the next two WC's coming anywhere close to Russia 2018.
Oh look, the two favourites by miles are the ones England did best in. Well I never.
(16-07-2018, 09:12 AM)norwichposh Wrote: If we're doing a vote for the worst World Cup, USA '94.  What a pile of pants. 

I liked USA '94, some really good football, excellent goals, exciting games.  I watched every minute of it, even the 2am kick offs.   No England, I admit, but it a way that set a different tone for the World Cup, I was able to enjoy it more because England weren't there.
(16-07-2018, 11:08 AM)KenGandhi Wrote: 2014. 

I liked USA '94, some really good football, excellent goals, exciting games.  I watched every minute of it, even the 2am kick offs.   No England, I admit, but it a way that set a different tone for the World Cup, I was able to enjoy it more because England weren't there.

My overriding memory (other than England not being there) is a super shitty final, which overshadowed any good moments of the tournament.
(16-07-2018, 11:12 AM)norwichposh Wrote: My overriding memory (other than England not being there) was a super shitty final, which overshadowed any good moments of the tournament.

The final was dull, I'll give you that.

There were so many countries "Golden Generations" on display and then Italy & Brazils "Shite Generations" bored their way to the final.  The 2 dullest sides in that World Cup made it through.... the rest was cracking.

But then it was that endless summer you get after all your GCSE's are done, so I could be mis-remembering based on nostalgia.
(16-07-2018, 11:08 AM)KenGandhi Wrote: 2014. 

2014 was miles ahead of 2010
(16-07-2018, 11:20 AM)jwb1997 Wrote: 2014 was miles ahead of 2010

Meh.  Both shit. 

If I were to put it all into some kind of order;

98, 18, 90, 86, 02, 06, 94, 14, 10

This can be affected by England, Goals, Players, the Final, upsets and just what I was upto that Summer.  Loads of factors
1990 ahead based primarily on misty eyed nostalgia, I reckon. England were (largely) bang average at best. Argentina were horrible. Italy were, well, Italy. Brazil were rubbish. West Germany were ruthless and unimaginative. Spain were hopeless, Holland equally so. The tournament had (I think) a record low goals per game average, and a flurry of red cards (I think it was the most up to that point, though it may have beaten since then).

It had a good theme tune and an unlikely Golden Boot winner, as well as the emergence of an African team for pretty much the first time. That's about it.
(16-07-2018, 12:29 PM)Nick Wrote: 1990 ahead based primarily on misty eyed nostalgia, I reckon. England were (largely) bang average at best. Argentina were horrible. Italy were, well, Italy. Brazil were rubbish. West Germany were ruthless and unimaginative. Spain were hopeless, Holland equally so. The tournament had (I think) a record low goals per game average, and a flurry of red cards (I think it was the most up to that point, though it may have beaten since then).

It had a good theme tune and an unlikely Golden Boot winner, as well as the emergence of an African team for pretty much the first time. That's about it.

All correct and as good a time as I had I wish I'd gone to a better competition. Mind you I went to Germany 88 too and that was even worse  Laughing
(16-07-2018, 11:27 AM)KenGandhi Wrote: Meh.  Both shit. 

If I were to put it all into some kind of order;

98, 18, 90, 86, 02, 06, 94, 14, 10

This can be affected by England, Goals, Players, the Final, upsets and just what I was upto that Summer.  Loads of factors

2014 was great until the knockout rounds
(16-07-2018, 07:39 PM)Pat Wrote: 2014 was great until the knockout rounds

This. Ken's being hyper critical.

You had a fun Brazil, an excellent Germany, Argentina were pretty free flowing, the emergence of Colombia and Chile on s global stage, and I loved watching Louis van Gaal's Holland.

I'm still annoyed that 2010-the World Cup when I was 12, the one that should have stayed with me forever- was played with a beach ball in front of vuvuzelas. Spain were the only highlight; Germany were transitioning, Brazil were functional, Italy were shit and Argentina were led by a coked up lunatic