•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next 

The Run-in and Play-offs
(20-04-2024, 06:11 PM)DiamondPosh Wrote: 5th Barnsley 
6th Oxford

Is my prediction!

Pompey players have got their medals and are booking holidays - Lincoln will beat them.
(20-04-2024, 06:14 PM)ryanclark82 Wrote: I know you can’t attribute it to just one or two games… but fuck me, the Carlisle games have really cost us.
One point against that dross was a poor return.
That four game streak was the issue for me though, we were second at that point.

I don't think the three above us have lost four on the spin this season.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
(20-04-2024, 06:19 PM)PoshDaz Wrote: One point against that dross was a poor return.
That four game streak was the issue for me though, we were second at that point.

I don't think the three above us have lost four on the spin this season.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Agree with that.

In fact, somebody really wise wrote in one of the match threads at the time that those results would probably cost us automatic promotion.
(20-04-2024, 06:23 PM)ryanclark82 Wrote: In fact, somebody really wise wrote in one of the match threads at the time that those results would probably cost us automatic promotion.

No shit, Sherlock  Laughing
(20-04-2024, 06:18 PM)KenGandhi Wrote: Pompey players have got their medals and are booking holidays - Lincoln will beat them.

This.

(20-04-2024, 06:23 PM)ryanclark82 Wrote: Agree with that.

In fact, somebody really wise wrote in one of the match threads at the time that those results would probably cost us automatic promotion.

Can you advise who that wise person was so I can mock them when we do get promoted :wink:
From memory the Carlisle game but those during our blip Wigan and Exeter we shouldn’t have lost. A successful season though but what could have been for the top 2.
(20-04-2024, 06:42 PM)DeanHobbs Wrote: Can you advise who that wise person was so I can mock them when we do get promoted :wink:

Automatics?

Could still happen Deano  Thumbup
(20-04-2024, 06:11 PM)DiamondPosh Wrote: 5th Barnsley 
6th Oxford

Is my prediction!

Have you seen Barnsley’s form? I can easily see them finishing 8th.
(20-04-2024, 06:42 PM)DeanHobbs Wrote: This.

Can you advise who that wise person was so I can mock them when we do get promoted :wink:

I’d love to be mocked. 

IIRC at the time Pat told me I was overreacting. (Sorry if it wasn’t you, Pat).
(20-04-2024, 07:05 PM)ExPat Wrote: Have you seen Barnsley’s form? I can easily see them finishing 8th.

Yes. And they’ll 100% beat Cobblers at home.
I see the EFL have added little asterisks by the playoff fixture dates for 3v6 and 4v5, presumably so they can change them round if they want to.
(20-04-2024, 06:14 PM)ryanclark82 Wrote: I know you can’t attribute it to just one or two games… but fuck me, the Carlisle games have really cost us.

In part, but more accurately we can point to a single decision by Fergie - that of not selecting Steer when he was available in January.

Anyway, I see the finish likely to be

Lincoln 77
Oxford 77
Barnsley 76
Blackpool 74

When we probably have the ability to self-determine whether we play the team that whooped us 5 - 0, or the express train that is currently Lincoln.
(20-04-2024, 07:48 PM)A Retired Layabout Wrote: When we probably have the ability to self-determine whether we play the team that whooped us 5 - 0, or the express train that is currently Lincoln.

Lincoln who have won two in their last four?

Anyway, we can't self determine by choosing to finish 3rd or 4th, as it's not at all clear who will finish 5th or 6th!
(20-04-2024, 07:56 PM)JM68 Wrote: Lincoln who have won two in their last four?

Anyway, we can't self determine by choosing to finish 3rd or 4th, as it's not at all clear who will finish 5th or 6th!

And who goes into a game deliberately trying to lose anyway?  Any manager/player with that mentality shouldn't be in football.

I'm not even sure there's an easier option anyway.  We can beat any team in the division on our day and lose to any of them when it isn't.
(20-04-2024, 05:24 PM)Hugh Fat B'Stard Wrote: Posh v Lincoln would be an interesting Play-off Final  Laughing

Nice n local but rather small. Would be plenty of Poshies unable to get tickets.
Edit: Oops, sorry, I was thinking of an away semi-final

And they didn't even have the decency to avoid relegation. Just rude.

(20-04-2024, 06:23 PM)ryanclark82 Wrote: Agree with that.

Wasn't that all of us? Although I put it down to the overplaying/underplaying* of RJJ/MM/JCH*
*delete as appropriate
(20-04-2024, 07:48 PM)A Retired Layabout Wrote: When we probably have the ability to self-determine whether we play the team that whooped us 5 - 0, or the express train that is currently Lincoln.

(20-04-2024, 07:56 PM)JM68 Wrote: Lincoln who have won two in their last four?

The current express train is Blackpool.
Selfishly I'd quite like us to stay in 4th and hope barnsley stay 5th as unlikely as that seems.
Finishing 3rd means travelling on a Friday night so Saturday would be much better for finishing 4th personally. Can see us beating Cheltenham Tuesday so a draw with Bolton will be fine by me
Barnsley are poor at moment but I think they will just get across the line.

Infact not expecting any changes to top 6 positions.

Oxford and Blackpool both have tricky away games.
(20-04-2024, 07:05 PM)Hugh Fat B'Stard Wrote: Minimum of 2000 tickets:- 

https://www.efl.com/documents/play-off-rules/

Does the "away half" of the old stand hold 2000?
It was the same last season. I've seen people assuming we'll get a big allocation if we get Barnsley, but last year they gave Bolton 2000 tickets and left the rest of their massive away end empty.
(20-04-2024, 09:15 PM)Hugh Fat B'Stard Wrote: The current express train is Blackpool.

These express trains tend to find leaves on the track in the play-offs anyway.  Contrary to popular belief, it's the most consistent teams that usually succeed in play-offs, not those on a current purple patch.

•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next